Character Animation is a highly competitive track in the Emerging Media BFA degree program. The Character Animation track allows students to integrate multiple domains of art, storytelling and technology into their body of work. A successful portfolio review is required for admission into the program.
The program is designed to:
- Provide a solid foundation in techniques and theory
- Provide a broad understanding of related disciplines including arts, humanities, and technology
- Provide extended experience in working in multidisciplinary teams on realistic problems
The Character Animation track is a two-year, full-time series of consecutive semesters designed to prepare a cohort of students for careers such as animators, story artists, visual development artists, lighting artists, technical artists, effects artists, modelers, riggers, or texture artists in the animation industry by emulating the professional production studio. Students learn all aspects of the production process, from story creation to film completion, while working as part of a team. Students learn the tools and industry practices for computer-generated animated filmmaking as well as the ins and outs of teamwork with opportunities for leadership amongst their peers and mentorship from the faculty.
View the Spring 2020 premiere films here!
Virtual Open House Q&A
Tuesday, Oct. 20 | 7-8 p.m. ET
Zoom – Register Now!
All Emerging Media BFA and MFA Animation programs have moved to UCF’s main campus as of Fall 2019. For more information, contact Cheryl.Briggs@ucf.edu.
- APPLY and be accepted to UCF.
- COMPLETE prerequisite courses. (Interested students are recommended to contact SVAD advising as early as possible to ensure that they are progressing through the prerequisite courses in a timely manner and to keep documented and detailed records of all information received.)
- PASS mandatory portfolio review. (Character Animation is a highly competitive, limited access program and students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 in all program coursework. Students are encouraged to simultaneously apply for studio art and/or graphic design portfolio. Students intending to pursue Character Animation (as well as Experimental Animation or Graphic Design) will be enrolled in the Emerging Media Pending BFA program until they have successfully completed the portfolio review.)