Emerging Media MFA – Studio Art and Design provides a concentrated studio experience to enhance creative approaches using 21st Century experimental practices.
The Studio Art and Design MFA degree produces innovative, creative, professional talent in both traditional studio and industry practices. With focused study in contemporary studio practices, such as performance art, installation, experimental time-based media, and fine arts, graduate faculty inspire students to be citizens of the arts both as contributors and professionals.
This three year, 60 credit hour MFA degree emphasizes the focused development of a concept driven body of related works via sustained studio practice by:
- Rigorous group and individual critiques
- Strong mentorship between faculty and student
- Focused understanding and articulation of contemporary and historical art contexts in studio
- Experimentation with traditional and new media
Successful MFA candidates leave our program prepared to pursue active careers in the professional and academic arts. They will have developed a refined studio practice that provides them with the skills to find recognition and acclaim through presentations, exhibitions, conferences and performances in the contemporary art world.
Graduates are qualified to enter the teaching and academic professors and have a competitive edge within the Studio Art and Design career paths.
Students have access to premier regional arts institutions including the Orlando Museum of Art, Atlantic Center of Art, Mennello Museum, Cornell Fine Art Museum at Rollins College, Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center, Downtown Arts District, and City Arts Factory.
Consult the UCF catalog for application information and a complete list of required courses.
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Knowledge and fluency with contemporary arts
- Reference to contemporary conceptualization and practice
- Participation in the international dialog of contemporary art and design
- Increased understanding of personal contextualization within the arts
Yes, multiple students win Graduate Teaching Assistantships that we offer every year. We also have a Dean’s Fellowship and a Provost’s Fellowship to offer each year’s incoming class.
Graduate studios spaces are in the Research Park area, right next to UCF main campus. UCF is 20 minutes from downtown Orlando where the Orlando Museum of Arts, City Arts, FAVO, and other commercial galleries. We are also located a few hours drive from Miami, where Art Basel Miami is hosted.