College of Arts and Humanities, School of Visual Arts and Design
The B.S. Photography degree program is a joint program between the University of Central Florida and Daytona State College and is offered by UCF at the Daytona Beach Campus.
Completion of an Associate of Science in Photographic Technology from Daytona State College or equivalent coursework.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- Students should consult with a Photography advisor before selecting this major, and at least annually thereafter.
- Upper-division electives, internship credit, and course substitutions must be approved by the program director.
- Students must earn at least a "C" in each required upper level course and maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
Degree Requirements ‡
1. UCF General Education Program (36 credit hours)
Students who have not satisfied General Education Requirements before transferring will complete the remaining courses at UCF. The specific courses will depend on the general education courses completed as part of the articulated A.S., and will come from the following areas:
A. Communication Foundations (9 credit hours)¹ENC 1101 Composition I (3 hrs)B. Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 credit hours)
ENC 1102 Composition II (3 hrs)
SPC 2600 Speech (3 hrs)A year sequence in AMH, EUH, HUM, or WOH (6 hrs)C. Mathematical Foundations¹ (6 credit hours)
¹ARH 2051 History of Western Art II (3 hrs)
Required MAC 1105C College Algebra or (3 hrs)D. Social Foundations¹ (6 credit hours)
MGF 2106 College Mathematics or (3 hrs)
MGF 2107 Mathematics for Liberal Arts (3 hrs)
Computer Science or Statistics (3 hrs)
Political Science or Economics (3 hrs)E. Science Foundations (6 credit hours)
Psychology or Sociology (3 hrs)Physical Science (3 hrs)¹If not already completed as part of the A.S. degree, after acceptance into the program.
Life Science (3 hrs)
Included in A.S. or B.S. requirements. See "Common Prerequisites" in the Transfer and Transitions Services section of the catalog for more information. Subject to change. Prerequisites have not been set by the state.3. Core Requirements: Basic Level (49 hrs)
¹ARH 2051 History of Western Art II (3 hrs)
²PGY 3651C Narrative Editorial Photography (3 hrs)
¹PGY 1403 Fundamentals of Photography (3 hrs)
¹Already included in A.S. requirements.
²Already included in B.S. requirements.
Completed in the A.S. in Photographic Technology at Daytona State College, or equivalent coursework.4. Core Requirements: Advanced Level (36 credit hours)
PGY 3002 Contemporary Photography (3 hrs)5. Restricted Electives (6 credit hours)
PGY 3205C Photographic Lighting Techniques (3 hrs)
PGY 3276 The Professional Environment (3 hrs)
PGY 3472C Photo Visualization (3 hrs)
PGY 3651C Narrative Editorial Photography (3 hrs)
PGY 3653C Advanced Editorial Photography (3 hrs)
PGY 3751C Videography (3 hrs)
PGY 3821C Advanced Digital Photography (3 hrs)
PGY 4003 Image, Culture, and Society (3 hrs)
PGY 4228C Advanced Illustrative Photography (3 hrs)
PGY 4471 Photography Thesis (3 hrs)
¹CRW 3011 Creative Writing for Non-Majors (3 hrs)
¹ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3 hrs)
¹Only one of these two courses may be selected
Select two of the following courses:
PGY 3451C Alternative Processes (3 hrs)
PGY 3480 Museum and Gallery Practices (3 hrs)
PGY 3703C Photography & the Web (3 hrs)
PGY 4235C Professional Photographic Workshop (3 hrs)
PGY 4493C Photography and Art (3 hrs)
PGY 4941 Internship (3 hrs)
See the Course Descriptions for specific information on the individual courses in the UCF B.S. in Photography degree program.
For a full list of UCF's classification and numbering system for all courses in the B.S. in Photography degree program see the alphabetical listings of courses by prefix and the state's Common Course Numbering System in the Undergraduate Catalog.
None7. Foreign Language Requirements
Admissions: Two years of one foreign language in high school, or one year of one foreign language in college (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.8. University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA.
- 60 semester hours earned after any CLEP award.
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed.
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 semester hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Completion of the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, the CLAST, and nine semester hours of Summer credit.
Total Semester Hours Required—127 hours
- Students transferring from any Florida public institution with an A.A. degree or with the general education program (GEP) requirements of that institution met have thereby satisfied UCF GEP requirements.
- Courses taken at community colleges do not substitute for Upper Division courses.
- Transfer courses must be evaluated for equivalency credit and/or for use in the area by the department. The student must provide all supporting information.
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Program Academic Learning Compacts (student learning outcomes) for undergraduate programs are located at: http://www.oeas.ucf.edu/alc/academic_learning_compacts.htm
- Full-Time Student: $90 per term
- Part-Time Student: $45 per term
To view the most recent curriculum requirements, please visit the UCF undergraduate catalog page. Catalogs are updated every year, and curriculum requirements may change from year to year. Please select the catalog year that applies to you; your catalog year is the year you first entered UCF (or another Florida state university). For previous catalog years, please visit the UCF Catalogs Archive.
‡ Disclaimer: The information provided above is only for informational purposes and the convenience of the UCF student body, and is not considered an official version of the UCF Catalog. The printed copy of the catalog for the appropriate year you entered UCF are the only official versions.